Sunday, July 27, 2008

Perspective

"For the dead and the living we must bear witness."

That's what my souvenir Identification Card from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum says on the front cover.

Yesterday Alex and I paid the Holocaust Museum a visit. It was quite possibly one of the most intense and solemn times in my life.

A few weeks ago my friend went by herself -- it almost felt weird being there with someone because it hit me more as one of those experiences you need to just take in rather than gleefully prance from exhibit to exhibit with giant smile painted on.

Rather, we provided a sort of silent moral support, hearing each other's soft inhales and sniffles. It was a nonverbal way of saying, "Yes, this is real and horrifying, but you're not alone; it's okay." Each touch said, "This is not a dream; this really happened to these poor people."

If you think I'm being overdramatic, you're either coldhearted, have never been to the museum or couldn't comprehend what you saw.

Human life is sacred; every man is created equal. So many people say these words, but how many people fail to live them out?

Yesterday, I saw some of the most horrifying images I've ever encountered in my life. And to think that it really did happen -- that it wasn't just a movie or some freak show -- is mind-boggling to me.

The lies, the torture, the killing -- the sheer inhumanity.

There was a survivor of the Holocaust in book store signing copies of a book she had written. I wanted to go up to her, but I didn't know what to say: "Thank you? I'm so sorry?"

I wanted to express to her somehow that I appreciated her courage to talk about a time in her life that was so terrible, helping us not forget so it couldn't happen again.

Freedom and equality are precious gifts -- not commodities. While they may be labeled as basic human rights, not everyone is afforded them.

What I saw at the museum intensified what I already believed; it gave me new perspective on humanity and life.

I saw what too much power can do. I saw what lying can do. I saw how truly evil man can be.

"We must bear witness" so that something like this will never happen again. Man has already proved it's possible.

I choose to stand in the gap -- to make it improbable.

2 comments:

Alex Byer said...

I'm glad we went together. I don't think I could have done it alone, and I couldn't think of another person I'd want to be there with me.

Marcus said...

um.. so I was trying to think of what to say (I had a bunch written done multiple times..) but everything I write doesn't seem to fit (as you said soo much soo well!). I guess all I can say is that the Holocaust Museum is one of those 'must-see' places that well.. sometimes really sucks to see..