Monday, July 28, 2008

Time

For many, it's just another dull, dreary, disappointing Monday morning.

For me, it's my last Monday morning in D.C. for a long, long time.

I woke up a little groggy and a little grumpy. I shaved and took a shower. I ironed my shirt on the table over a tower because after eight weeks here I still don't have an ironing board. I decided against a bagel, so I could sit with Alex on the eight o'clock bus, but she wasn't there -- I didn't get my Alex fix this morning before work!

It hit me on the bus: this is my last week in D.C. I got sad. I thought, " This isn't fair. Why do good things always have to end?"

Then I saw a Porsche on the road -- it made me smile. It kind of knocked me on the head: life isn't bad just because I'm leaving. It just means I need to cherish everything that much more!

So this morning I took extra care to notice everything -- to notice anything. I thought of a mental picture my economics professor used: when you look at a fence, that's all you see, but as you gradually move closer and look between the slots, a whole new world opens up behind them.
This morning I looked for that world.

I'm wearing my favorite pants -- they're gray pin-striped slacks from Banana Republic, and the only reason I could afford them is because my aunt and uncle got me a gift card for Christmas last year.

I listened for all my favorite songs on my MP3 player (and since it's a mix, I wasn't disappointed ever!).

I saw a Porsche, a Mustang and Corvette -- I love cars!

I saw a funny man riding a bike with a Connecticut jersey.

I saw a quaint little antique shop I'll probably never walk into, but I know my parents like antiques, so maybe I'll give them a heads up.

I saw the hotel at Dupont Circle I thought was so cool my first time there. I want to stay there sometime, even if I end up living in D.C.

I loved Dupont Circle to the same degree I did my first time there. I walked to the escalator and saw the man passing out Express newspapers -- I kindly declined.

I noticed all of the people frowning. I decided to be the one person smiling because I love life and D.C. and the Metro, even if it is late sometimes.

I took 91 steps down the escalator -- yes, I counted!

I looked at every person on the Metro and tried to see something different and unique in each of them. Highlights: I saw a man with Harry Potter glasses. An old man had a roller backpack -- I HATE them. I want to KICK them! Another man had a hearing aide. I saw a cute older woman in all black and white. She had these awesome glasses with beaded string to hold them on. She looked like a librarian only classier -- Library of Congress maybe?

I also saw a younger man get on. He stood in front of me, and he had a buzz haircut (i.e. really, really short). I love people like this. I like to look at their heads and see if there are bald spots. If they are really big or long, they probably ran into a table at some point in their life or got kicked playing soccer. Maybe that's morbid -- I call it a good time.

Oh, and he only had one little bald spot (probably just genetic or something).

I got off the Metro and proceeded up the escalator at Union Station. I cut off a man that tried to cut me off. I went into commuter mode and outwalked almost everyone. I love how fast I can walk comfortably. It makes me feel like all business all the time.

I got my favorite breakfast from my favorite place (Swiss oatmeal: cold oatmeal with milk and yogurt and raisins, bananas, apples and craisins). It's simply to die for! And I got my morning coffee.

I came to work. I LOVE our receptionist. She calls the me and one of the other interns here partners in crime -- we do keep this office lively! I passed out newspapers (got new print on my hands!) and caught up on my Facebook. And I had a "Gtalk date" with Alex.

Now it's time to bust out the econ paper, study and actually get a little work done too.

Since then I've been blogging about my glorious life.

Oh, and I'm in print again today! I don't think the thrill that brings will ever die -- something I've written has been immortalized. I love words, the craft of putting them together and the huge responsibility that comes with doing so -- it's powerful.

Sure, I only have one week left in D.C., but I'm going to make the most of it. I have an amazing job, amazing classes and even more amazing friends here. There's no way I'll let what I have waste away as I pout about it ending.

Now, I'm just hanging by a moment. And I wouldn't change it for the world.

3 comments:

Alex Byer said...

I think that looking on the bright side always provides a different perspective on how things are. When the glass is half-full, you can always find reasons to smile. If we learn anything in the next week, it should be to live our lives to the fullest. Clearly, we're the most fabulous people ever, and we really ought to let the world know that :)

Jenn@ said...

Andrew, nicely put! You write very well. And also, I'll miss you lots.

<3

T...Mel said...

Oh Brandenburg, you're so inspiring sometimes even when you're not trying. I really have been anxious to get out of this city but it is a great city, and I will miss you sooo much!!! Keep smiling this week, I'm sure we'll all need it after Rustici's exam.