Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Responsibility

-I meant to post this yesterday, but I was too busy-


Someone special to me told me something that meant a lot yesterday -- and at the same time, weighed on me more than I realized at first:


"Even though you don't know it, someone is always looking up to you."


Those are powerful words anyway -- but coming from someone who means so much to you, that's intense.

I had to stop and think: What am I doing with my life; how am I living so that the people around me will benefit and could potentially follow my lead?

It's a huge responsibility.

Think about every time that you stood in the corner; every time you thought no one was looking, so it'd be no big deal -- just this once.

You're not flattering yourself, if you hold yourself to a higher standard than those around you. It's not some pipe dream -- a wish that people around you would take notice so that you mean something.

Think about it: you watch those around you closer than you'd ever admit. You look for examples, you look for similarities, you look for ideas -- you look for flaws, shortcomings.

That's something to consider in life. Sure, you may say that it's not anyone else's business so you can do what you want. But people make it their business. And if that's not good enough for you, you're a part of society -- you give and take -- so people will see and watch.

Everyone is accountable for his or her own actions.

Here's a real-life example: this morning I found out that my program director has read this blog before. You may say, "Duh, it's on the Internet. Don't do something stupid." But who'd have thought? Honestly, I'm flattered. But it's a good reminder.

Let's get to the point, though.

I've gotten a wake-up call. These are not things I've never know before. But just knowing that someone I care about is actually watching me -- of all people -- and taking note makes me want to live a life worth seeing and emulating that much more.

So here I am deciding to make every moment of my life mean something.

And I'm telling you to tell those you watch -- it'll encourage them (and flatter them a little).

Let me light up the sky for you.

3 comments:

Alex Byer said...

I kind of want to leave a message like, "Hey Shane! Welcome to my blog! Hope you like it :)" She's too funny. But yes, people are always looking up to you, no matter what you're doing. Everyone's a role model to someone, and I think that that's the most important thing that we can do with our lives. If we've made a profound impact on someone, then we've lived a good life.

T...Mel said...

I love this Andrew!!!
I said it before, and i'll say it again, you're so inspiring in the way you write (all I have is poetry and bickery lol) Someone's always watching you this is true, so be mindful of your decisions, and consider all that you do!

Unknown said...

It's something that we as older brothers can always be reminded of. I see my bro doing things that I did when I was his age and I can only think "d'oh! I only set that example!" Makes me think a lot more about how I live now.

Like the Yellowcard quote :)